Via Petrarca 14
Estabilished in 1906 by Dr Torta in the former Via Giulia, now Via XX Settembre, the chemist's subsequently relocated to its present premises in the light, airy arcade in Via Petrarca. Fortunately, as part of the move, all the original early 20th century furnishings were retained and refitted in the new pharmacy. In the 1944 the shop was acquired by Dr Giulio Cesare Alvigini and has been managed by his family ever since. After admiring the attractive century-old shopfront you enter the elegant Art Nouveau style interior with cherry wood fittings. The ground floor decor with the counters, shelving and cupboards sculpted and inlaid with "whiplash curve" floral motifs merges with the mezzanin, wich rests on the furniture below and is enclosed by a beautiful balustrade, in turn blendig into the upper floor as far as the ceiling. White tiles decorated in Art Nouveau style cyclamen decorate the harmonious niches and the same floral motif reappears on the many antique apothecary jars and the historic leech container which, together with the mortars, pharmaceutical scales and othe laboratory equpment, compise a very substantial and valuable collection. The combined effet of the furnishing and decoration is extremely impressive and makes this a real trip-back-in-time shop.