timbri, targhe e incisioni
This workshop specialising in the production of stamps, plaques and engravings was established in 1896 in the vestibule of one of the so-called “palazzi dei Rolli” (prestigious private residences used as accommodation for visiting notables), namely the one belonging to Emanuele Filiberto Di Negro in Via Ponte Reale, in the middle of the thriving port area. A few years later the business relocated to it current premises – unchanged since then – in the building opposite and became a key player in the economic, commercial and industrial history of the city. The shopfront has an attractive Art Deco sign, while inside you can find century-old boxes and drawers containing stamps, punches, sealing wax, plaques, studs and spare parts of all kinds. For decades this was where orders were placed for stamps for bills of lading and seals for packages and letters sent from the port. In short, this shop is a repository of the history of the city: the stamps and plates from the 1920s and 30s document the Genoa of the steamers and transatlantic liners; the post-war records reflect the years of the economic boom, when Genoa was Italy’s capital of heavy industry and the oil business. Customers included Ansaldo, Costa Crociere, the Port Consortium and the Cantieri Navali Riuniti shipyard, to name but a few, plus of course the main Genoese institutions. In addition to its traditional activities, the shop now does printing (including silk-screen prints), laser engraving and other processes in its laboratory in Via Teodosia near Piazza Tommaseo.
This business was opened almost by chance by Bernardo Luigi Busellato, who left Vicenza intending to sail to America, but was held up in Genoa due to logistical problems. He liked the city so much that he stayed on and never left. The shop is now managed by Pierluigi Secondo and his wife Marcella.